By they way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. ~Sylvia Plath



Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Marb

Marb
                Blue, red, purple, green and yellow. To anyone else, just a stuffed bear, but to me, so much more. He became a friend to me from the moment his soft brown fur found his way into my arms. Little did I know, he wouldn’t just become a childhood memory. He wouldn’t end up in the garbage can or in some D.I. across the world; ending up in another child’s hands. He stayed in my arms; by my side each night as I doze off to sleep.
                To strangers, his floppy arms, limp body and squished nose don’t seem appealing. He wouldn’t be the new teddy bear a child looked forward to receiving. Bright unmatching colors covered him, although the bright colors have faded over time. Some consider him ugly, but to me it only makes him more unique.
                When looking into his warm brown eyes, I see the things he sees. Memories flood back, almost like a movie playing through his eyes. When feeling his soft worn ears, I hear the things he hears. Scary sounds sneaking in from outside long empty nights; arguments from the neighboring room as I held on tightly for comfort.
                A musty smell sneaks off him. So many smells are mixed into his brown fur. Smells that bring back both sad and happy memories. Smells of all the suitcases and bags he squished his way into. It reminds me of all the trips he attended with me and the many more to come. Body spray and hairspray mixed into a strong, fragrant smell; almost like being in a salon. It reminds me of the dates and long days of school. The smell of tears that have soaked his fur on so many occasions; both happy tears and sad tears. Such a strong smell; a smell that someone else might not even notice. Who knew that a smell could be a memory?
                A cuddle buddy, a comfort and a lifelong friend; my teddy bear will always be by my side, soaking in more sights to be played through his eyes, more sounds to jump through his ears, and more smells to remind me of all the things we go through together.

No comments:

Post a Comment